I have read through the Vertical Jump Bible ( http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/verticaljump.html ) and I have been loosely following the novice strength program for 8 weeks with modifications.Â I am a few weeks behind on the program as I wanted to take my time on the first phase and build up some strength before progressing to the next phases.
I have now completed Phase I (weeks 1 – 5), Phase II (weeks 6 – 8 ) and just starting Phase III now.
Tonight was work out A and completed:
- Squat: 1 x 6 @ 80kg and 3 x 6 @ 90kg
- 1 and 1/3 squats: 2 x 8 @ 70kg
- Leg curls (quick up, hold 2 sec, down over 8 seconds): 4 x 6 @ 56kg
- Calf raises: 3 x 20
The 1 and 1/3 squats were extremely difficult and took about 10-15 minutes to recover… in fact, I felt light headed after doing those.
From week one I’ve seen the following increases over the 8 weeks:
- Squats: 50kg/60kg -> 90kg (33% increase… 4% per week)
- Leg curls with delays: 39kg -> 56kg (30% increase… 3.75% per week)
I’ve read some sites that say with squats you can expect to see 5% weekly increases, so, I’m very happy with 4% over the weeks.
Although very happy with the weight increases, testing the vertical leap at the end of week 5 showed less than an inch increase.Â Going to test the vertical again Friday and start introducing the beginner plyometrics exercises into the program over the coming week.
Collar bone break was around the 30th of September 2008.Â Arm was in a sling for a bit over 3 weeks and then started doing general movements, but, was still very painful.Â It wasn’t until week 6-7 that I started doing some strength exercises after discussing with the physio.
Early exercise prescription (~ 25/11/2008 ):
- Raise (to above head) and lower arms
- Both hands on gym ball against the wall.Â Slowly move around on wall.
- arm behind back, gently manoeuvre head with other hand in opposite direction)… should feel in upper trap
- pecs.. extend arm against the wall, turn body until feeling a stretch in the pecs.
Exercise prescription date:Â 5/12/08
- Seated row – single or double (blue band)
- Lat pull downs (front of body)
- Weight bearing forward & back, side to side (kitchen bench/bed etc)
- Diagonal arm raise with yellow band
- Rotations with blue band.Â Left/right
- Stretch pecs and upper traps
Exercise prescription date:Â 15/12/08
- Â DB bench press ~ 7kg.Â 3×6 then later 3×12
- Lat pull down
- Seated row (Gym)
- Weight shift in press up position on bench/bed
- Basketball drills (Bouncing ball, passing ball against wall, close range shooting)
- Rotator cuff, elbows @ 90 degrees
Exercise prescription date: 22/12/2008
- Wall press up (3×8)
- Rotations @ 90 degrees(Pulling in & pulling out) 3 x12 each way
- Arm lifts lying on stomach, arms out (thumbs up and thumbs down), arms in a Y shape and W shape.Â 10 each, 40 total.
- Push ups ( 5×3 ) – Can only do 3×3 at the moment
- Seated Rows
- Lat pull downs
- Triceps and Biceps